Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Monday, poetry group, Tues. St. Patrick's Day

But I, I fear, am an Orange(wo)man, so I shall simply review the Monday poetry group...and perhaps my aging, drooping eyes, which bother me, particularly on a late night such as this one.

At the poetry group I read my poem with the longest title ever done there or by me. It wound up being nine lines, but not longer than the poem, as one I did was. I think that was the one about the Scarlett Pimpernel (always loved him). Poor Bristol is being talked about on the news behind me. I suppose I should write about her, but I cannot stand those Palin white trash.

When I was quite young I met many writers and poets through my mother and her wide circle of friends...I think the one I remember best was Langston Hughes, whom I adored. He wrote out one of my favorites of his poems for me. It is called Epitaph and is very short and funny:
Tell all my mourners to mourn in red
'Cause there ain't no sense in my being dead.

He was a dear, sweet little man and I loved talking to him. He was also very kind to spend so much time chatting with a most unsophisticated sixteen year old child...but he did.

Another of my favorite poets was Eve Merriam...here is my favorite of hers (from 1943):

The Coward

You, weeping wide at war, weep with me now
Cheating a little at peace, come near
And let us cheat together here.

Look at my guilt, mirror of my shame.
Deserter, I will not turn you in,
I am your trembling twin.

Afraid, our double knees lock in knocking fear
Running from the guns, we tumble upon each other.
Hide in my lap of terror, I am your mother.

Only two, and yet our howling
Can encircle the world's end.
Frightened, you are my only friend

And frightened we are, every one.
Someone must take a stand
Coward take my coward's hand.

I dissolve in tears each time I read this. I somehow, from somewhere, memorized the last two stanzas of this poem long ago, and it took me years to find the rest. Now it is engraved on my heart, all of it. I have written many anti-war poems, but none as perfect as this one. I wish I could have met Eve Merriam, but sadly I never did.

No comments:

Post a Comment