Saturday, February 28, 2009

How to be a Poet and Still Live a "Normal" Life...

I suppose I could get rid of the cat,
so I don’t have her jumping on my lap
every time I attempt to use the computer,
but unfortunately she seems to think
that this is her house, and I belong to her.
I suppose I could just turn off the TV
but then I wouldn’t know what terrible
things the republicans are doing, or
what President Obama and Cabinet and
Rahm Emanual and all the rest of them
are doing to make them laughing stocks.
(Oh, right, they’re doing that to themselves!)
I suppose I could (and usually do)
just say ‘uh huh’ over and over to
the poor women who are making coffee
and tea and cleaning my apartment,
as they discuss all their woes with me,
or at least as they think they are doing so.
Can I disappoint all these people, pets,
and even politicians who natter on on TV?
No, so I guess I shall just sit here and look
terribly happy and interested and keep
stopping my typing long enough to pat cat
every time she meows to remind me to --
simply proving I can watch, listen and pat
and still get a poem written once in a while.

©2008 Peggy Cartwright

No comments:

Post a Comment