Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Wednesday, as I wait for "LOST"......

Ah, 'compose' -- write of the boring day? or the rain? or missing K? or precious grandchildren? there must be something of great import of which to speak, but it does not come. So mayhap I should simply add some of my fairly recent poetry to fill the space. Ah, but when, I ask myself, have you been short of words? Seldom, I answer, but today is one of those days.

I overslept today again, something I find myself doing more and more. Seem to need more and more sleep, the older I get, rather like a novel I once started about people sleeping longer and longer, and the lights going out in cities more and more. Perhaps I should dig it out and try to find a resolution for the book and for me. Sad to say, I now have three unfinished novels -- and two of them were rather good ideas, I just deserted them when I found myself a bit weary of the characters. I loved the characters in the books I finished, perhaps I could start over and make friends with the new people in the story. I do find that if I like the characters, they help me and seem to take over in the middle of the book and practically write the rest themselves. Although, I have always had the feeling that someone is simply writing through me. I do know that I often do not remember writing some of my poems and when I find old ones and read them, I find myself saying, "My, that's a very interesting poem." (surprise, that's my name at the bottom!) Although, with most I am quite like Matisse, who was not allowed into some of his own exhibitions, as he always carried paints and a brush and made little corrections or changes on his paintings -- nothing was ever 'finished' for him, nor is it for me. Even when I am reading a poem to a group, I make little changes....nothing is ever finished.

I spoke of waiting for LOST -- I wonder if other people are as lost as I am, this season. Too many people, too many wild ideas, too many past lives to remember, confusion reigns. But I still like watching it, as there is so little of interest to watch on TV these days. That is, after watching all the foolish CEOs of financial institutions try to cover for all their greed and mistakes. They are as reluctant to admit mistakes as old georgie-poo. And, as eager to throw lots of money to the people who really don't 'need' it. Unfortunately the 2% of the people in the country who have most of the money still seem to believe they NEED more and more and more. I was interested in some things someone was talking about the other day. He said that the people who gave the most money to charities that used the money to care for the halt, lame and really poor were the middle and lower classes, while the really wealthy gave money primarily to get tax relief...and the money they gave usually went to organizations who were there to entertain them, such as symphony orchestras, museums, theatres, etc. After reading a couple of articles in 'Forbes,' I realize that he is right. Just take a look at what the Walmart family supports. Not the poor who spend money at their stores, that's for sure. And collecters are now building their own museums.

My daughter, the Christian, constantly tells me about her Christian attitude about 'tithing'... granted, she is overly-generous in her giving, but does not understand that I, the dreadful atheist give at least 10% of my retirement income to various charities and non-profits. I have always supported the museums in SF by becoming a member each year...but my choice for a monthly amount that I know will be used well is "Medecins sans Frontieres" or 'Doctors Without Borders' one of the most selfless and caring groups in the world. I was so impressed with their work on a food for starving babies that they call by the dreadful name of 'Plumpinut' that I immediately signed up to have money sent from one of my credit card companies every month to help with the program. One of the things that impressed me about them, and still does, is that they send me thank you letters often....and not with any mention of my giving more.

And on the news -- a short take of the latest exhibit at the deYoung: Tiffany and Lalique. Guess I should get out there to see it. Will undoubtedly wear me out.....Ah, well.......

No comments:

Post a Comment