Wednesday, February 18, 2009

No MAN For Me

Funny, I find McCain such a typical MAN. He would never be able to see a woman’s point of view, while I think Obama does, for he seems to have a softer sensibility somehow, and he is stronger mentally. McCain adores Hemingway, the ‘hero’ of “For Whom the Bell Tolls.” Of course. I dislike Hemingway and most guys who think he is the best -- they are usually basic wimps who would like to be the big tough MAN, as poor old Ernest did They have nothing to attract me.

As I read of all the great leaders, past and present (Newsweek, July 14, 2008), who admire Lincoln I realize that Lincoln was not like many of them (or Hemingway), but had a kinder, much more thoughtful nature and didn’t spend all his time being a MAN, or I should say, trying to be a MAN, for that is what most of them do. Not that I am throwing rocks at men in general, just at the false ones...and I certainly consider McCain a false one, along with ‘doc’ robo & philll of my AOL group, and Kristol, cheney, dubya, etc. of the PNAC and bush gangs, for they are the ones who would use power, superior strength, hubris, lies and false pride to try to gain what they want, particularly with women, when they even consider them. A big gun in the pocket or on the shoulder is more their speed.

And to the men who claim that ‘war is good,’ or ‘God does not hate war, after all there were good wars in the bible,’ or other fundamentalist’s arguments for war, I say this: Most of the real men I know have grown enough, studied, and learned enough to realize that religion is a crutch and man-made thing, that the great prophet of ‘Christianity,’ Jesus, did not believe in war (read the NEW Testament, dears, not the folk tales of the Old), and no war in history has ever been a ‘good’ thing. Those who still argue for war should listen to, and hear, Dylan’s song “With God On Our Side,” one of the best arguments against war I have ever heard.

Meanwhile the bright men in my AOL group; my dear friends Colin, Mel, Bud, Bruno, John and Mike; my darling son, and my own love, K, use an innate kindness, inner strength and intelligence to reason and figure out the correct solution to problems and do not immediately sweep in with a pretend sword or a specious argument to attempt to kill their adversaries before they even know what the problem is. And so, they are the ones I turn to, or even argue with once in awhile, for I know I will be listened to and my argument treated fairly. For this I give thanks, and for this I also have hope for MANkind.
Peggy Cartwright, 7/2/08

No comments:

Post a Comment