Sunday, June 14, 2009

Useless Evening, but a Happy One

I have spent actually a useless day, even forgot to eat dinner until after 8pm. But I am happy. The change from analog to digital TV caught me not thinking. I carefully called Comcast to come and add me to their long rolls, but neglected to think that I have something up against EVERY open space in my walls except for where the heaters are along the window wall. The man who came looked over the HEAVY bookcases and drawers full of STUFF that hold up my walls and said, "I'll just leave you some cable....see, you plug it into the TV here, then into the wall plug WHEN you find it!" So, I emptied out two enormous plastic drawers under my desk in the logical place for the plug to be....he said it was probably next to the phone jack. It isn't. But I managed to get some of my writing sorted and put into the boxes I had long ago bought for just this purpose. On pulling out the drawers, we found nothing, and nothing in back of the long file holding up my desk on which my Mac sits.....so I have no TV.

Why didn't I turn the damned thing off for good ages ago? This afternoon I sorted my mail for the last 3 days, throwing away most and this evening I turned on the radio. KALW, my favorite station, was playing their silly quiz game, so I sat back and listened, yelling answers at the radio like they could hear me. Then came Sarah Cahill with a lovely program of piano music. I almost lay down on the floor, as I did from the time I was two or three. I used to lie under Jessie's grand piano, happily letting the music not only fill my ears, but also thump into my little body through the piano. Now I must remember to add that story to my book about Jess...and the stories about her taking me to the symphony and other concerts and pinching me to make me remember. She was right about that -- I shall NEVER forget going to see Madame Shuman-Heink at an early age...Jessie could really pinch HARD. Her theory was: you always remember where you were if it concerned pain....you just didn't remember the pain.

She was right -- other 'pain' remembrances when it wasn't Madame Pincher: when my sister Betty Rae slammed the car door on my little finger. Because of that I shall never forget Niagra Falls. Or the obviously painful births (they did NOT want to come out) of my two children...I remember every detail, but not the pain, which was considerable, Dr. Gross told me later that he had to make some 30 cuts to get Whitney and her big head out, as she was already almost a month late. For Mark, he induced labor, saying he was not interested in delivering any more ten pounders from me. So we got an eight and one-half beautiful baby in Mark.

And so, having gotten off the track completely, as usual, I am sitting here, letting the nice classical music, still coming out of KALW, wash over me. Ms.Katt is furious with me, as she feels I am simply causing the radio to make a great deal of noise. Sylvia hates noise. I am HAPPY.

Also, for some reason I suddenly have a whole slew of people following me on Twitter....and one of them had a message from Guy Kawasaki, so I went to his site and 'followed' him. Don't know why I didn't think to do that sooner. He, of course, immediately sent a message he was doing the same. I miss seeing Guy.....miss Bud....who kept me up with SeniorNet and the people I knew there, although most of them are gone now, including Bud. Which reminds me of others.....

I guess I am more sad than happy to have taken down all of K's photos, in spite of all the nice comments from my friends, and put up dragons....lots of lovely little dragons. I now have 12. I am left wondering if K is dead or merely deserted me. He always said he would never do that, and when I said that as he moved from place to place, how could I ever be sure. He told me that he was going to put a note in his safe deposit box to be sent to me if he died, but that was probably just another story, about as valuable as the letters on my screen were. But it would be sad to think that he cared so little as to let me think so badly of him. And yet....law'sy me, I turned right around and made friends with another younger man....well, what else, all the men my age that I have known are dead and gone. I was hoping I would have another friend not only to write to, but also see once in a while. But ah, no, this one does not like to write letters over a sentence long, or even use the phone. But it has been a lovely, useless, happy day. Ah, well.....

No comments:

Post a Comment