Saturday, June 13, 2009

Goodbye TV


Midnight, and goodbye to TV, at least for a while. I didn't listen to all the advice, but called Comcast, figuring it would be easier just to have them come and plug me in. However, they came and couldn't find the plug, as every inch of my room is covered with bookcases and desks. So the giant with the arm full of cable simply attached two pieces together, put a plug on the end (oh, if only it had been so easy to work with when I was building electronic equipment for Bert!) and told me to keep looking and just plug one end into the TV and one into the wall. I emptied out two whole drawers of my writing, moving stuff to boxes I had bought for just that, pulled out the drawers under my main desk, where the phone jack is located -- Horrors, no cable jack!!! So, now I must ask our manager if she knows where the cable jack is, or I must start pulling out everything and look for it myself. I haven't the strength for that, having moved all those boxes full of typing paper (no, they call it something else now...computer paper or something) one day and helped my home health care worker turn my mattress the next. Isn't life jolly? Well...I'm not missing much, as the summer TV is absolutely the worst batch of sh*t I have ever seen. I shall miss the PBS afternoon news and Craig Ferguson, but that is about it. I shall now have Terry Gross with my dinner and the BBC news all night on radio and Fiona chatting with Dougie MacLean on Saturday. If I hear of anything spectacular on TV, which I doubt, I can go watch it on a friend's TV. The best part of it is, however, that I now HAVE to write in the evening, the time when I am the most creative, and when Ms.Katt is snoozing and leaving me alone.

But am I writing any of the things I SHOULD be writing (family stories, poetry, short stories, half-completed novels?). Of course not, I am working hard at procrastinating, as usual. So with that said, I shall say goodnight and go to bed, as tomorrow is an early day. much too early. Ah, well.......

No comments:

Post a Comment