Friday, November 6, 2009

Why Do Men Never Understand?

Why? Because they are men, and men will never understand women, any more than women will ever understand men. God knows I have tried. Why do I bother? Why do any of us bother? There is no understanding, nor will there ever be. (Men love war, women do not!)

Only twice in my life have I loved someone who loved me, and I don't suppose one could call either of them 'men'... for they were boys. At age 10 my best friend was named Cecil, which I pronounced Seecul, except when I was at his house, where I pronounced it Sescil, as his English mother did, I was one of the very few people he allowed to meet her, as he wanted desperately to be an Amurican and be called Seecul. We were best friends and probably loved each other as much as any two 10 or 11 year old children can love. He was the first boy to kiss me... and then push me away, of course. We were the two smartest kids in the sixth grade and proud of it, as Miss Holland, our teacher, let us know that that was a good thing. I wrote a play that year, mainly so that Cecil could star in it, and I could be the Orson Welles (writer, director, designer, etc.) I'll always be happy that I saw him in the "Memphis Belle" documentary years later, so that I at least knew he came out of WWII alive and well, even though we moved and I never saw him in person again. Him I understood, and he understood me and we loved each other dearly. The only other 'boy' I ever knew that this same was true of was Barry Bushnell... we fell in love with each other at first sight, understood each other completely and parted most unhappily at at a bit later tender age.

I made the horrible mistake of falling completely in love at first sight (write) with one other person at a very advanced age, and we knew each other completely, or so I thought. Alas, it doesn't always work out that way. He may have understood me, but I did not, nor will I ever, understand him. So now, I guess I will just have to come to the conclusion that I will never, never understand men... nor will I ever again find one who can understand me (or particularly, my sense of humour, which I think is very straightforward and so easy... not so Paiguy, not so).

No comments:

Post a Comment