Friday, May 15, 2009

'I Get Carried.....Yes Carried Away....'

And now just musings and nonsense and politics oh my......

Amusing NYTimes headline in ‘Business’: ‘Weekend Without Bernie” (pic of Madoff)

Also interesting in article in same about healthcare:

<<< Mr. Luntz advised Republicans to show they “understand and empathize” with voters’ concerns about soaring health costs. “You simply must be vocally and passionately on the side of reform,” he wrote.

He urged Republicans to argue that the Democratic plan would “deny people treatments they need and make them wait to get the treatments they are allowed to receive.”

Mr. Luntz recommended this language: “If you have to wait weeks for tests and months for treatment, that’s a health care crisis.” >>>
(you will not find this in Canada, no matter what 'they' say....my daughter owns a home in Canada and her friend who had breast cancer at almost the same time that she did had much better care, faster service, and longer stay in hospital then she did....and paid nothing for it, while my daughter, who had "excellent healthcare" through her company, paid over $30,000 of her own money for her op and care.) This 'excellent' care failed a bit. They left a tiny bit of the cancer in, and had to operate again, shortly after her first operation. She worked all during the chemo sessions she had after the op, and during the radiation they recommended, as she had to pay off that $30,000. Oh, and she had to wait some time for the operation (probably longer than her friend in Canada).


And here are the final sentences of an article entitled: ‘Democrats Uneasy Over National Security Policy ‘:

<<< “This is going to be a problem from now, through the big bill, through the next year,” he said, adding that discontent will grow if the situation worsens in Iraq or Afghanistan or if there are further events like the killings of five American soldiers by a fellow American that underscore the severe strain on the troops.

“The public is not focused on the war at all,” Mr. Murtha said. “But they are going to be focused on it if it goes bad.” >>>

Then this, close to my feeling.....the ‘gun lobby’ scare hell out of me
“Whose Senate Is This? “ http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/14/opinion/14thu3.html?emc=tnt&tntemail1=y

And do read this one: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/15/opinion/15Francese.html?em
About diploma Latin -- not the Latin of my or your childhood. Fun.

I have a few things to say to Garrison Keillor, Op-ed contributor, whose article is “We Are What We Are”.........
My dear mother had one thing to say about old men, when, after my father died and her friends urged her to get out and meet other men:
Jessie: “Really, I cannot stand OLD men, they cough and spit!” Somehow I cannot see Noel Coward doing that....but that’s just me. And I do prefer younger men....or those who MUST know everything....they are my favourites.

Of course, I can turn to ‘Broadway’ and all the comments on the Tony Awards. Ye gods....”Hair” has been revived. And “Mary Stuart” and “The Norman Conquests” -- and “Waiting for Godot?” Sometimes I do wish I were back in NYC....but I should have to BUY tickets, while when I was living there so many years ago, I simply had to call someone I knew who was in the cast. ("Waiting for Godot???")

I found an ancient “Best Plays” volume recently that listed plays in which at least ten of my friends were working. I guess I just miss them...Perry, you never should have quit! ah, well.

No comments:

Post a Comment