Saturday, September 23, 2017

Now One Just Rambling to Me

For the last couple of years, because I have been alone and bored, make that horribly alone and sad, I have made up a list of the people I would like to have with me for a Christmas dinner (the sort of which Dickens wrote). I suppose I choose the kind of people who are great conversationalists, including people I have known and people I would like to have known, or know now. So I shall sit her on a very boring Sunday, following my 93rd birthday, alone as I was for the birthday, and make up a new list. No relatives this time, I think, although I know both Jessie and Betty Rae would be enormously welcomed by all the others for their bright comments. Even Daddy would be great, or Papa, they were so full of charm and stories. What a family I had and how I miss them now that I am completely alone, the last of the Michigan Cartwrights, except for Kath and maybe somewhere a cousin named Jeannie Jefferson Bock (spelling?) and perhaps a couple of others if the ones I knew had children. How lost I feel, and how alone now that my sister (and nemisis) is really gone. Ah, but back to the list... let's see: I almost always want Noel Coward (and a handy piano), so I suppose I should include Gertie also. What fun they must have been at a party, as they had known each other most of their lives and had so much to talk about. (And I could sing off-key with Gertie, for I know all their songs.) I had considered Bernie Sanders, but it is too close to an election and Politicians can get rather one-sided at those times. Ah... women first, how about both Queens Elizabeth of England... The Great Queen was brilliant and the dear little newer one a charmer with a good sense of humor. Now to match them with males, odd, I never put Dickens on my list, lets choose him and Mark Twain, there's an odd, but interesting match. Perhaps a match for me... no, not Kirkie, he doesn't go with this bunch. I get Orson Welles, as I have always wanted to talk to him. With Steve gone, this year I shall pick Tim Cook and pair him with Rachel Maddow, both of whom I would love to talk with. And, because I simply adore them and they are also pushing on toward their ends, I shall choose Judi Dench and helen Mirren. now, what gentlemen could come up to match with this pair? Ah, why not Billy Connelly and Mel Brooks, as those ladies do appreciate men with a sense of humour. Now that's twelve and I shall go to bed early on Christmas and dream about my wonderful dinner... for I shall have none that day, but probably just spend my whole day trying to get poor old Sylvia to eat if she is still alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment