Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Christmas 2013

It is Christmas Eve, almost Christmas Day, which I used to celebrate with my family, friends, neighbors... and the many people Jessie always invited to our tree trimming parties. For we always waited until Christmas Eve to drag the tree in from the front porch, generally chop off the top, as Daddy always bought the tallest one he could find. In Pittsburgh, the place I remember best as a happy Yuletide place, I sat on a chair, directing Bill Rodd, or P.B. Burgwin on how put put the lights on the tree, as that seemed to be a ‘guy’s job’ in our household. They always started at the bottom, so that there was no way they could plug in the lights... so I remember my incessant “Start at the top... no, start at the top.” They never seemed to get it. Downstairs, in the kitchen and dining room, I helped make Jessie’s “London Fog’... a lovely ice cream drink in a punch bowl that could knock you out faster than anything as it was half brandy. That and her bourbon balls left most guests staggering. I just mixed drinks for others... didn’t start drinking until much later. But I have always remembered Daddy’s and Bill’s advice... drink only the BEST bourbon... put it in a very tall glass and fill the glass with ice and water... then drink it slowly all evening. Actually after I started drinking, I could drink any one under the table, as I had a tolerance for liquor like a man’s (probably from having had so many men friends in the ad game, which is where I learned to drink).

Ah, but it is Christmas... and we have an odd year and time of news. Edward Snowden, who is a traitor/hero depending on your viewpoint. no regrets from him, though... he’s spending his Christmas in Russia. So let him freeze. Then there’s the new pope... oh, what joy to see one who doesn’t ride around in fancy dress and fancy red shoes, but seems to really feel for the poor, homeless and hungry... a sweet, real man. Then, on the other hand the continuing horror in South Sudan, Somalia and Syria. What can we do... no more war, we need to perhaps provide any help we can, but NO MORE of our children can be sacrificed. We must teach our children NO GUNS, no fighting, no bullying. I remember Mark’s wonderful ‘pod’ training in grade school, when each morning the children went to their ‘family group’... consisting of children from ages five (his age) to age 8 or even 9, for each teacher started the day with a ‘family.’ His early years were in an ideal set-up. When he was first grade ‘age,’ if one asked what ‘grade’ he was in, he merely said, “I’m in Mrs. Wedeman’s family group.” Then they met in ‘peer groups’ for reading, math, etc. Mark taught himself to read at about 3, so he was at the ‘3rd grade level’ table in first grade... but at the beginning math table, as I didn’t teach him anything about math (you can guess why). So, he had friends of all ages... and no one bullied, as they had big and little ‘brothers and sisters’ who watched out for them always. A great way to teach... ruined by parents who objected to their dumb kids going to class with '‘them little kids... why ain’t they with kids their age?” Alas, there are always parents who work at spoiling good education. They are often the ones with the guns in their houses, also.

So Merry Christmas all... and a Happy New Year... one I hope will be better not only for all of you, but also for all of the countries of this sad little world. I shall now go and watch the news and hope it is better... even a tiny bit would help. Unfortunately this year has taken one of the greatest of all from us, Nelson Mandela... but I shall try in my own life to remember him daily and hope it makes a difference in my attitude toward all people. If only the Sudanese, Somalia and Syrians could work in his manner... or I suppose I should say, if only all the people in the world could be as forgiving as he.

And on a note of humor... the UPS ofices here are full of people complaining that their packages  haven’t been delivered. Wow... did they somehow think ordering late might have something to do with it. I’d never yell at Damien for not delivering something to me. He’s too cute to yell at anyway. And we have people complaining that they can’t burn fires in their fireplaces as we are having a ‘spare-the-air-day’ for Christmas (I guess too many people were doing so earlier. Why they want a fire I do not know, as it is in the 60s and 70s daily... sunshine flooding in here daily. Why do I live in San Francisco? Guess! Well, Joe Gigante told me I’d be dead in a couple of years if I didn’t get out of Chicago and find a good mild climate where I didn’t suffer from cold and asthma all winter, and heat, sweat and allergies every summer. None of that here... but I miss my family and friends over the holidays... so remember me... and here are a few kisses for all... * * * * * * * *

No comments:

Post a Comment